Working Out At Home
From Lounge Lizard to Living Room Legend
No time for the gym? Too shy to try a class?
Working out at home is the perfect solution, right?
So why do we find it hard to get motivated for a home workout?
Distractions and excuses are the enemy – that spice rack really must be sorted and cleaned immediately!
Here are my top tips for staying on track to become a Living Room Legend:
1. Time – you can fit a condensed workout into whatever amount of time you have before or after work. Plus, there’s no travel time and no waiting for the hairdryer in smelly gym changing rooms to suffer.
2. Kit & Equipment – you don’t need to impress anyone by having the latest big brand clothing, as long as you’re comfortable and have a good sports bra on, you can wear whatever you like. Be creative with workout equipment – tricep dips from the coffee table, baked bean cans for your weights and a bath towel for your mat all do the job perfectly well.
3. Space – pick your workout to fit your space. With a little shifting of furniture, most rooms can accommodate what you need to do, just watch out for the lampshade and ornaments! When the weather perks up a bit, why not take your workout into the garden.
4. Kids – if you can’t fit a home workout into the time when your children are at school, nursery or having a nap, why not get them to join in too! Kids love seeing you getting sweaty and well-exercised children sleep better, so it’s a win/win situation.
5. Energy – sometimes the last thing you want to do after a hard day at work or a disturbed night’s sleep is get into your legging and jump around the living room but you know you will feel amazing afterwards! Try and diarise your workouts and stick to it. Also, get changed into your workout gear as soon as you get home, it makes it harder to be tempted elsewhere.
So whether you’re planning a home workout to save money, save time or for other reasons, the best way to keep going and motivate yourself is to find a routine that suits you and that you really enjoy. Vary your workout so you don’t get bored and make it a regular habit. Give yourself little rewards and treats for completing each one – a soak in a bath, a favourite movie or a glass of wine.
Don’t know which workout is best for you? I’ve got a range of short, easy-to-follow workout videos and worksheets on my website, including my latest 7-day Ab Challenge.
Visit www.gemmapearcefitness.co.uk/online-workouts to find out more.